Index »  Kyiv

ESTABLISHMENTS OF CITY

Kyiv

Kyiv
In glorious city in Kyiv...
A Pushkin
Kyiv takes one of the places ot honour among the cities of the world, proud with the glorious
history originating of the remote past. And it is not supising, because princely power and origin of
East Slave Orthodoxy, Cossack democracy and the European culture, ali these definitions are directly
connected to Kyiv.
Located on "sacred" hills " Russian Athens " (N.Gogol) with the beauty, elegance, picturesque
landscapes and quaint architecture draw millions tourists annually.
You can feel the ancient history of city - " mother of Rus cities ", - in every little piece ot an
ancient stone blocks, in each amazing fresco of old churches and majestic cathedrals, in mighty
waters of Dnipro river, in inviolable walls of numerous fortresses. And everyone who has visited the
capital of Ukraine can touch the glorious history o f " Orthodox Rome " (Honore de Balzac).
Intricate, but not less refined eclecticism of ornate Byzantine and monimental Soviet architecture,
luxuriant vegetation of public gardens and the broad squares, secluded and modest parks, silent
and majestic monuments, stately cult constructions, and the main thing - affable and kindly Kyivers,
you will love them, and certainly you will have a desire to return and relax in this marvellous,
charming city.
Welcome to Kyiv!

Golden gate

Kyiv - Golden gate

Kyiv - Golden gate
This gate laid by the Kyivan prince Yaroslav the Wise in 1037, served as an entrance in a city
(the Overhead city), the main city road went through it. It was possible to get to Kyiv enclosed
with banks of 14-16 meters high only through three gates: Lyadskie gate (Pecherskie), Lvovskie gate
(Western) and the main - Golden gate. Only the last one has remained partially.
About the name of gate there is a great nimber of legends One affirms that the name
«Golden» the gate obtained because to enter the city you had to pay a few gold coins, others
think that because the gate from outside was made with copper sheets that glittered in the sunshine
and made an illusion of brilliance of the gold, and some relate the name to Church of the Annunciation
that showed off above gate with the gilded dome. Anyway, exactly the Golden gate served
as powerful protective construction of the city. It was special, first of all because it was two-tier: the
first tier is the arch fit for traffic (12 metres height and 6,5 metres in width), the second is a battle
ground with Church of the Annunciation (which also served as of watchtower). Possibly, because of
it, the nomads attacking Kyiv had not never succeeded in taking by assault the Golden gate, only
in 1240 khan Batiy partly destroyed it, after entering Kyiv through the Lyadski gate less fortified.
Unfortunately, today's building that we can see, is not the real gate, but the construction of 1982
made for the purpose to save the vestiges of the gate. But if you want to see an original stone-work
of 11th century at least for a moment, visit a museum that is inside the gate.
40a Vladimirskaya Sir., Metro Station Golden Gate. Day off is Tuesday. Tel. 228-69-19

Saint Sofia's Cathedral

Kyiv - Saint Sofia's Cathedral

Kyiv - Saint Sofia's Cathedral
Sofievskiy cathedral was built by decree of the Grand duke Yaroslav the Wise in 1037 in honour
of glorious victory over pecheneg people on the same place where the battle occurred. «Sofia» in
Greek means «wisdom», and true, the temple became the real symbol of reason, wisdom, knowledge
that were grand duke's main credo. Moreover, the name Sofia was a sort of challenge to
the same name of Byzantine temple in Constantinople, with which Kyivan cathedral can entirely
compete in its value, its magnificent design and gorgeous decoration.
In Yaroslav the Wise's time the cathedral was not only the center of diocese of Kyivan Rus in
its golden age, but also the main political and cultural center. Here, according to a chronicle,
Yaroslav created the first and very rich library (which, by the way, had not been found until now),
here the chronicles were written, the ceremonies of enthronement of princes took place and also
receptions of foreign ambassadors. "Sofia" became also a prince grave, now there is Yaroslav the
Wise's sarkofag.
This enormous 13-dome temple, 37 metres long and 55 metres wide, was very generously decorated
with decorative pattern, painting, numerous marble, and slate details. But the main property of
temple, it was figure of Maria Oranta. There are invaluable mosaics (about 260 square kilometres.)
and frescoes (about 3 square kilometres) that have remained to our time that are art monuments of
world value. Graffiti (ancient inscriptions) on the walls of cathedral are also very important. Cathedral
presents a central element of historical and architectural reserve «Sofia Kyivskaya».
24, Vladimirskaya Str., Golden Gate Metro Station. Day off is Thusday. Tel. 228-26-20

Andreevskiy descent

Kyiv - Andreevskiy descent

Kyiv - Andreevskiy descent
This steep street, well rounding historical hills which, on the legend, Andrey Pervozvannyy visited
and promised the city "Plenty Divine", today is the real visiting card of Kyiv.
One of the most ancient streets of city, Andreevskiy descent represents the real connection of
generations - as early as from times of Kyivan Rus it is known as Borichev descent that served as
the short descent from Overhead City in Lower City (Podol), from the forties of 18th century this street
has been already known as Andreevskiy descent (in connection with Andreevska chuich located
on its hill). The street also has very variegated architectural building - here it is possible to meet
with simple little houses, profitable high-floor houses of 19th century Now numerous galleries and
exhibitions are disposed here. One of the main sights of descent is the house number 13 - now it is
the museirn of Michail Bulgakov, the worldwide known writer who lived in this house in 1906-1916
and dedicated to Kyiv his famous novel «The Days of Turbins» Mountain Uzdykhal'nitsa, raising at
back of Bulgakov's house, according to the legend, is named so because during the elimination of
all pagan idols and introduction of Christianity by prince Vladimir, people went out on this mountain
and «breathed» with grief.
Opposite the descent's symbol, Andreevska church, there is Starokievskaya mountain. According
to chronicle sources, just from this mountain "Russian earth began", and now on its ground foundation
of the first Kyiv church Desyatinna (Tithe) is laid. The delightful and charming view is opening at Podol
from an observation ground. Nowadays Andreevskiy descent is a tavourite place of artists, sculptors,
musicians and all, who likes to feel the historical spirit of culture of Kyiv.
Andreevskiy descent. Kontraktovaya Square Metro Station

Kyiv Mohyla Academy

Kyiv - Kievo-Mogilyanskaya Academy

Kyiv - Kievo-Mogilyanskaya Academy
Epiphany school was that served as basis lor Brotherly school. Brotherly school appeared in 1615
at the Brotherly monastery as medieval theological educational establishment of high level. The
Ukrainian scientists PBerinda, Z.Kopistenskiy, E.PIetenetskiy known in all Europe took part in creation
of this school, lov Boretskiy became the first rector, and hetman Petro Sagaydachniy gave a lot ol
money to maintenance of school.
In 1632 Brotherly school united with Lavra in Kyiv Mohyla kollegium (from the name of bishop
Petro Mohyla), as at that time they used to name the high level schools in Western Europe. In 1701
by order of Peter I the kollegium legally obtained the status of academy, that became the first higher
educational establishment not only in Ukraine and Russia but also in all East Europe. Children of
all the estates could study here gratis. An educational course used to last here 12 years and the
debates were the basic form of teaching:. POrlyk, GSkovoroda, E.Prokopovich, Miomonosov were
among the pupils of this academy.
Because of grave political situation in Ukraine, the academy was losing its scientific prestige and
material resources and in 1819 was reorganized in Kyiv Theological Academy, that in the potential
was completely inferior to the academy which once was known in all Europe.
A decision to create a preserve "Kyiv Mohyla Academy" and to transform the old academic
building into museun was took only in 1988. And in 1992 the academy recommenced the scientific
and educational activity -National university "Kyiv Mohyla academy" opened its doors for entrants.
Kontraktovaya Square. Kontraktovaya Square Metro Station

Saint Vladimir's Cathedral

Kyiv - Saint Vladimir's Cathedral

Kyiv - Saint Vladimir's Cathedral
The temple was laid 15th of July, 1862 in prince Vladimir honour and its unveiling was timed for
900th anniversary of baptism of Rus Construction of the temple (by I.Shtrom, PSparre and ABeretti's design]
endured 20 years and was accomplished exclusively for charitable contributions of Kyivers. Exterior
decoration is not the main virtue attracting attention. The best artists of Russian empire VVasnetsov,
N.Vrubel, R.Kotarbinskiy, PSvedomskiy and many others in their time painted the temple on the inside.
For the century of its existence the cathedral endured many mortal moments - in 1929 industrialization
took all its bells, in 1941 it nearly blew up being mined and even, how paradoxical it seems,
served as Antireligious museum! Today Saint Vladimir's Cathedral is one of the most important and
the most popular cult buildings of Kyiv. 20, Shevchenko Boulevard, University Metro Station
Church of Assumption of the Virgin Mary Pirogoscha
Built in 1132-1136 during government of Vladimir Monomakh's son Mstislav, it got the name
from an icon, brought from Tsaregrad by some Pirogostiy. That is mentioned in «Saga about Igor's
regiment» after returning from the captivity of prince Igor to Kyiv.
This one-dome temple with narrow windows, decorated with frescos and mosaics, suffered quite
a lot in its lifetime: it was many times rebuilt, burned on the inside, and finally destroyed (blown up)
quite recently in 1935. Completely rebuilt and restored in a spirit of 12th century this temple was
only in 1998. Today it is functioning church.

Kyiv Perchersk Lavra

Kyiv - Pechersk Lavra

Kyiv - Pechersk Lavra
Lavra was founded in 11th century as underground temples by venerable monks Anthony and
Feodosiy. Initially it was simply a monastery, but in the middle of 12th century it was named "Lavra",
officially it was given by a title of Lavra (large monastery) in 1688. In this monastery they did not
bury the most prominent, influential or some how became famous diseased monks but used to made
the mummy of them and laid in sarcophagus and it was the main peculiarity of Lavra. It is surprising
but after thousands of years those relics have been kept safe.
Initially the Remote caves in monastery existed (their length is 293 m), a little later the Near
caves of 383 metres long appeared. In the Near caves there are the relics of legendary Nestor
Letopisets, doctor Agapit. Land-based buildings, appeared after the caves. Beautiful Uspenskiy
cathedral (1089 year) was constructed the first. It was blown up in 1941, and restored in 2000. There
are a lot of buildings on the territory of monastery are in baroque style. Total territory of Lavra comes
to 28 hectares Large bell tower of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra was built in 1731 - 1744 by the project of
architect I. Shedel, it is 96,5 meters height and the foundation diameter is 28,8 m, on the third stage
of bell tower there were 13 bells with gross weight about 6000 poods.
Here the monumental art developed, an icon-painting and chronicle schools were created, and
also a printing-house, hospital etc Today on its territory, there is a great number of museums with
unique collections of displays (the Museum of historical gems, the Museum of book, the Museum of
miniatures and a lot of others).
21, Yanvarskogo Vosstaniya Street, Arsenalnaya Metro Station

Maidan Nezalezhnosti

Once Maidan was not the central square of Kyiv but just the Goat's bog that was in outskirts of
city. In princes' time the defense walls were here, and in those walls fhe Lyadski gate was located
through which it was possible to get to Kyiv. In winter of 1240 the Mongolian-Tatar army of khan Batiy
broke through them in a city and almost demolished it. 400 years later in the place of the Lyadski
gate the Pechersk gate were raised, symbolic restoration of which is in the center of present Maidan.
In 1850th a fountain appeared in the square called by people a quite strangely «Freak». Probably,
it got such name because its water stream hardly ran up fo a few centimeters. Trade was very brisk,
the district became populated quickly, and in 1876 under AShille's project the municipal duma was
built, so the square was named Dumskaya, but in 1941 it burned out.
In 1913 the first monument, to Peter Stolypin, appeared here but already in 1917 it was took
down and resmelt. In 1919 the square got the name of Soviet, and in 1935 - Kalinin square. During
World War II it was almost completely demolished.
After war the government had 23 projects of the square reconstruction, but it was built by
AVIasov, ADobrovolskiy, VEIisarov and other architects' projects.
Last time the main square of city Maidan Nezalezhnosti was reconstructed in 2001, then in its
center it was erected the monunent of Independence by fhe project of AKusch. Today Maidan
Nezalezhnosti is gay with expensive shops, elegant fountains, and a great number of monuments
(among them is cossack Mamay, founders of Kyiv; Kiy, Tcheek, Khoriv and Lybed').
Maidan Nezalezhnosti. Maidan Nezalezhnosti Metro Station

Bessarabskaya square
The main street of Kyiv, Kreschatik, ends by Bessarabskaya square whose central building is
the indoor market. Today it is difficult to imagine, but till the middle of XIX century this place was
considered a suburb, t. An equestrian post-office was located here, around it there was always very
animated and active haggle. Certainly, the name of this square comes from Bessarabia whose
habitants used to arrive here to sell fruit and also delicious Moldavian wine.
The Bessarabskiy indoor market was built by architect G.Gai's design in 1910, but the building
keeps a secret: underground rooms that until now are hidden from eyes of townspeople. There is an
opinion, that the caves of Bessarabka are very receptive to the magnetic vibrations, therefore it is
dangerous to be in them. Today Bessarabskiy market is the most expensive food market in town. A
complex of no less expensive shops «Metrograd» is located under it.
Bessarabskaya square. Kreshchatik Metro Station

National Philarmonic of Ukraine
The building of the present - alloy National Philarmonic was built in 1882 as the house of
Merchants gathering according to the project of the architect VNikolayev. The concert Hall for 2
thousand people, that has a better acoustics quality than the halls of the conservatory, became the
real heart of the building. N.Lisenko, PChaikovsky, S.Rahmaninov, F.Shalyapin, I.Kozlovsky and other
world famous artists performed exacted here.
European square. Maidan Nezalezhnosty Metro Station

Mariinsky palace
In 1744 empress Elizabeth Petrovna visited Kyiv. The visit of such honored guest has been a little
bit clouded because unlike prudish "palace" Petersburg, ingenuous Kyiv could not give to empress
a luxurious residence to stop at (after all a huge quantity of people arrived with her - counts, barons,
court chamberlains, cadets, musicians, pages and even confectioners - in all 230 persons). Amazed
by beauty of Kyiv landscapes, empress gave the order to build "in a grape garden the house of
Its Imperial Majesty ".
The wooden palace with a stone ground floor was erected in Baroque taste under Rastrelli's
project. The construction of the building made under direction of Ivan Michurin, was ended in 1755,
but imperial persons, emperor Peter Pefrovich and empress Maria, stayed in the palace only in
1781. Kyivers remembered so well this grandiose imperial visit that the people at once named the
palace Mariinskiy.
This beautiful elegant building which very skillfully joined Kyiv landscapes saw absolutely different
visitors - persons of imperial family and representatives of high Kyiv administration, theatrical figures
and even the prisoner Frenchmen! The destiny of palace was not less original: built for reception of
the honored guests of Russian empire, it was fated to become a field hospital for prisoners in 1812,
a military staff in 1816, and even the building of the Society of mineral waters in 1834-18861 The
palace did not avoid a fire (1819) that destroyed all wooden frame of a edifice. Mariinsky palace
was finally restored inl979-1982.
Today Mariinsky palace fulfils its primary and basic function - serves as a residence for reception
of the honored guests from all the world.
5, Grushevskiy Sir. Maydan Nesalezhnosty Metro Station

October palace
In 1835 Kyiv governor-general levashov obtained permission from emperor Nickolai I to build
on Kiev-hill woman's educational establishment. In 1839 the edifice was built by architect BBeretti's
project and establishment is named Institute of noble maidens. Teaching and education were also
at high level. Mainly the professors of Saint Vladimir university, among them N.Bunge, PZhitetskiy,
N.Kostomarov, VShul'gin and other scientists taught girls, composer Niisenko taught the music
The institute of noble maidens had existed to 1918 year, and after its liquidation this apartment
was occupied by different organizations. In 1919 it was the 1th Communist guard regiment,
in 1923 is High military-pedagogical school, in spring of 1924 it belonged to the Military school of
air force. Placing of State Political Adninistration of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic in the building
of former institute in 1934 became an important event. How strange it can seem but exactly in this
noble building semi-base they placed internal prison. They say that it was not a simple prison, but
the place, where so-called «suspects», «disagreeable» political and not only political figures were
executed by shooting.
During World War II, the institute burned out, but in 1952 it began fhe restoration under architect
AZavarov's project. In 1958 building was reconstructed and in addition got a concert
hall and a new name - October reaeation centre. Obviously, a former institute get «October»
name from fhe name of street that in 1944 was named October revolution street. In 1993 it got
back the former name Institutskaya street, but the institute was named the International center
of culture and arts.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti. Maidan Nezalezhnosli Metro Station

Andreevskaya Church
Church was built in 1744-1754 by empress Elisabeth Petrovna's order who visited Kyiv in 1744.
Church became the real architectural wonder of descent and also of all Kyiv.
Andreevskaya church has been erected by the project of court emperor's architect B.Rastrelli in
his favourite style of baroque and bricklaying master I.Michurin executed all works. Initially, in XVIIIth
century, it had to serve as the personal palace church of Elisabeth Petrovna. Although it is the littlest
building of famous architect, Andreevskaya church became his most perfect work, which strikes and
delights by harmony of architecture and nature, surrounding it.
To examine closely, the church is no less charming. Gilded cast-iron casting and domes segments
generously applied in design, cupolas, placed not on the axis of cross, but diagonally,
pilasters, colunns, decoration turrets give the temple an original and unique colour, elegance and
prettiness. The interior of Andreevskaya church is also designed in baroque, or maybe rococo. The
emphasis is placed on a luxurious multistory mahogany iconostasis, with the gilded carving, here
you will find pictures of XVIII and XIX centuries; in one word, the hall amazes with the chic design.
The various concerts of classic music are often arranged here, it is a favourite place of symphonic
orchestras performances.
The church is situated on a sort of two-storied building, which at once serves as a porch and
good terrace, from which you can see an amazing panorama of Podol, the Dnepr and Left bank.
Andreevskiy slope. Konlraktovayo Square Metro Station. Day alt is Wensday. Tel. 228-58-61

Mikhaylovsky Gold Domed Monastery
Mikhaylovskiy cathedral was founded in 1108 by Kyiv prince Svyatopolk Izyaslavovich and
named by him in honour of arhistatig Saint Michael, As the main church of monastery was designed
and decorated very luxuriously and its domes were generously gilded, people called it
Gold Domed. After completing the construction of the temple in 1113, Svyatopolk body was committed
to the earth in there and thus since 12th century Mikhailovskiy cathedral has became princes
grave. Later Vladimir Monomakh's sons Andrey and Sviatoslav also were buried here.
However, the relics of martyr Saint Barbara were the most important sacred object. The tomb
where they were kept in stood in the center of the cathedral on a cast iron eminence, enclosed by
grate. Originally, it was cypress coffin, and in 1694 hetman Ivan Mazepa handed to the monastery
a silver sepulchre - the matchless masterpiece of the Ukrainian jeweller art.
In 1240 the Mongolians and the Tatars cruelly ravaged the monastery. Renewal took a lot of
forces and expenses, but however it was accomplished. In 1713 the monastery complex was enriched
by Trapeznaya (Refectory) church of loann Bogoslov, and in 1720 the main stone bell tower
was erected. The last edifices of monastery were raised on a frontier of 19-20 centuries: the buildings
of the Mikhaylovskiy hotel, where pilgrims stayed.
In 1936 it was detonated with dynamite and not by fascists but by Bolsheviks. On the monastery
territory only Trapeznaya church survived intact. Only in 2000 Mikhaylovsky Gold Domed Monastery
was again restored in its original form. Now it is a functioning monastery.
Mikhaitovskaya Square, 1. Maidan Nezatezhnosti Metro Station

Teacher's House
Beautiful building of classic style, near which sits thoughtful father of Ukrainian independence
M.Grushevskiy, was initially built with the most humane and democratic purposes. In 1912 in Kyiv the
Pedagogical museun was opened.
The grand building of the museum in Vladimirskaya street was built only for one year, on money
of one Kiever S.Mogilevtsev and by N.AIeshin's design. Mogilevtsev was appointed honorary custodian
of the museum and actually had been maintaining it till he died (in 1917).
The month of March 1917 became truly important for history of Kyiv, when the museum had
sheltered Central Council, supreme adninistrative organ of independent Ukraine at the head with
M.Grushevskiy. Later the Proletarian museum was in the building, then the Museum of revolution and
after reconstruction Kyiv branch of the Central Lenin's museum.
From 1982 this building has been named the Teacher's House, there are also the Pedagogical
museim and largest library of pedagogical literature.
46. Vladimirskaya Str., University Metro Station
The Shevchenko State National University
The University was founded in 1834 by the order of Tsar Nikolay I, the University was founded
on the basis of Kremenetsky college. The building was built in a strict classical style in 1843 to
the design of architect V Beretty. Coloration of building walls correspond with colors of St. Vladimir
Order's ribbon. The Order's motto was "Benefit, Honour and Glory" and it has become the motto of
the University. At present it is one of the best educational institutions in Ukraine.
60. Vladimirskaya Str., University Metro Station

The National Bank of Ukraine
The history of fhe National Bank of Ukraine began in 1839 when the branch office of the
State Bank of Russian empire was opened in Kyiv. Unfortunately, at that time in Kyiv there was not
a building worth of such important institution so the branch office had taken shelter in multiples
buildings. Minister of Finances S.Vitte easily solved this problem, by his order it began the construction
of new building in Institutskaya street.
The foundation of the future Bank was laid in 1902, the construction was secret so a guard was
always behind it and a special committee watched the process. Engineer A.Kobelev and architect
A.Verbitskiy were the project authors. The construction was completed in 1905 and fhe Kyivers saw
two-storied building with refined facades and interiors designed by sculptor E. Sail. In 1934-1935
in view of increasing necessity of the city in activation of bank transactions V.Rikov and A.Kobelev
made two additional storeys, for this purpose the roof was not demolished but lifted using highpowered
jacks. That is why the additional storey was very good; even the elements of E.Sall's design
did not suffer, in particular the griffins that, according to antique mythology, protect gold.
This building of chic Northltalian gothic design rather looks like a cake with fancy cream curls,
a sort of confectioner's fantasy, then like a financial institution. But exactly here the state financial
property is kept and the interiors created one hundred years ago did not lost its luxury and comfort.
In addition, in building of the National bank there is the Museum of banknotes of Ukraine.
9, Institute Sir., Kreshchatik Metro Station

The House with Chimeras
This mysterious building is called also Gorodetsky's house, as architect VGorodetsky is its creator.
It is, first of all, notable by fancy figures of gigantic toads, marine monsters, rhinoceroses, deers,
pythons, birds and even woman's heads, located on its roof. This house till today is surrounded with
various legends, enigmas and mystic stories.
Gorodetsky affirmed that only an insane could build a house in this place. But architect not only
realized his «crazy» plan shortly (it had been built for 2 years, finally completed in 1902) and won
the bet, but created the real magnificent work of architectural art (today this house is considered
as the pattern of modernism style). All details of this building were advanced - building material
(reinforced concrete), technologies, external and internal design. Besides delighting and amazing
facade (designed by the Italian sculptor Salia), Gorodetsky's house became famous by other its
trumps. Thus, initially inside of the building was no less magnificent. Marble footsteps, expensive
parquet, silk: architect thought over all to the little things.
Architectural fantasy of architect Gorodetsky at once became surrounded by the legends (for
example, story that Gorodetsky's loved daughter drowned in a sea, and in her memory he adorned
the house roof with fantastic marine «chimeras»). But, probably, the most plausible explanation of
such strange decoration will be the fact that Gorodetsky was passionate hunter and traveler and
that is why he adorned his house in harmony with this fascination, putting the inhabitants of the
African savannah on fhe roof.
10, Bankovaya Sir., Kreshchatik Metro Station

Vladimirskdyd gorka
Park "Vladimirskaya gorka" known by this name since 19th century always was the
favourite pleasure resort of Kyivers and guests of Kyiv. Composer RChaikovskiy visited it many times,
K.Paustovskiy with enormous love portrayed the spring park, and VMayakovskiy admired those hill
expanses And that is easy to understand because it was the nature itself that created so special
place for garden-city Kyiv, which amazes all visiting it.
The moniment to the grand Kyiv duke Vladimir Sviatoslavovich built in 1853 is a peculiar center
of park. It is well-known fact that Vladimir the Great immortalized in the world history first of all by
baptism of Kyivan Rus. Exactly for this reason the moniment placed in a way that it seems that
the prince is looking to the east where once the Pochaina river flowed in which the first christening
of Kyivers took place. The monument gave the name to the park that before had the name
Mikhailovskiy (name of monastery located in its top). The sculptors VDemuth-Malinovsky, PKIodt and
K. Thon created the monnnent. The bronze statue was made in Petersbourg and it is set on 16 metres
cast-iron base and square cast-iron gravestone with steps thai licks it into shape of 8-edge little
chapel of post Byzantine style. The pedestal is decorated with bas-relief "Christening of Kyivers" and
with another small sculpture elements: Kyiv city emblem, Saint Vladimir's order. The prince Vladimir
dressed in semi-caftan and slipped on cloak. In his left hand he takes the grand duke cap and in
his right hand there is the main symbol shining at night by hundreds of small lights - the cross.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti Metro Station or Golden Gate Metro Station
National Taras Shevchenko Opera and Ballet House
The opera-house amazes us by the elegance and beauty. Before this chic building, the City
theater built by the project of architect I.Shtromme in 1856 was in this place. But in February, 4,
1896, the last day of winter theatrical season, after the opera of "Evgeniy Onegin" fire destroyed all
building of theatre. The project of new theater won first award of the All-russian competition which
took place in Petersburg. It seems like the architects VShreter and VNikolaev put their whole soul
into it. But in 1901, when he was solemnly consecrated, Kyivers had completely different opinion, as
they considered that building of theater is too expensive for the city, and it is too little and modest.
Probably, they thought so because the building it is a strange mixing of baroque, new Romanesque
and rationalistic styles.
In the inside the theatre is decorated no less magnificent. There is many circle hall for 1628 seats
and lobby decorated by painting. Outside the arches emphasize the main facade and under the
largest of them there is a bronze bust of Taras Shevchenko which name the theater got in 1939.
Exactly here in 1911 Superior secretary of Russia Peter Stolypin was killed during the interlude
of opera "Tsar Saltan"; in World War II time a theater was mined buf, fortunately, it was successfully
cleared of mines and safed . The hall remembers fascinating voices of Feodor Shalyapin, Oksana
Petrusenko, Zoya Gayday, Evgeniya Miroshnichenko, Ivan Potorzhinskiy, Boris Gmirya, Dmitry Gnatyuk
and many other opera performers of genius.
50, Vladimirskaya Sit., Tealralnaya Metro Station